The Friends of Castle Park
The Friends of Castle Park are a group of local volunteers who dedicate their spare time to enhancing their park. One of the main aims is to increase the usage of the park for the greater community, whilst supporting The National Lottery Heritage Fund in the Castle Park project.
The Friends of Castle Park are always looking for new members – get in touch if you are interested in joining
The aims of the Friends of Castle Park include:
- Encourage local pride and create focus for community involvement
- Provide and promote an opportunity for local involvement in accessing the history of the park and heritage activities, including archaeological excavations
- Encourage the local community to have a voice and participate in the management of their greenspace
- Improve the biodiversity of Castle Park
- Provide the opportunity for the community to learn new skills through training workshops
- Ensure that Castle Park is an enjoyable and inclusive space to visit
- Liaising with adjacent land owners and authorities to broaden the scope of work where appropriate.
These aims will be fulfilled by:
- Researching the history of Castle Park
- Working with partner organisations on archaeological investigations
- Working with East Herts Council, Bishop’s Stortford Town Council and Countryside Management Service to achieve the aims and objectives of the group
- Undertaking practical conservation work
- Monitoring biodiversity in Castle Park
- Providing events for the community
- Other activities and events beneficial to the local community
- Raising funds as necessary to achieve the aims
- Supporting the Castle Park project
- Raising awareness of Castle Park.
The Friends of Castle Park currently survey the River Stort, and carry out practical activities to help research the rich history of Castle Park. Read more about the Castle Park project.
Castle Park, The Causeway, Bishop’s Stortford, CM23 2EL.