The Friends of Castle Park
The Friends of Castle Park is a group of volunteers who help encourage greater use of the park and support the lottery funded Castle Park project.
The Friends currently survey the River Stort, carry out practical activities and help research the rich history of Castle Park.
Working with East Herts Council, Bishop’s Stortford Town Council and the Countryside Management Service, the Friends support the delivery of the Castle Park project. The Friends would like to expand to run events, secure funding and raise awareness of the opportunities to enjoy the park.
Friends of Castle Park is a volunteer group formed to get the most out of the Park by giving back as much as possible. Involvement (as an active volunteer or a passive supporter) is open to anyone interested in supporting the work and aims of the group.
The aims of the group are:
- Encourage local pride and create a focus for community involvement.
- Provide the opportunity for local involvement in archaeological investigations.
- Promote the rich heritage of Bishop’s Stortford and improve access to the local history of the park.
- Ensure Castle Park is an enjoyable and inclusive space to visit.
- Encourage local people to have a say and play a part in the management of their greenspace.
- Provide the opportunity for local people to learn new skills through training workshops.
- Improve the biodiversity of Castle Park.
- Liaising with adjacent land owners and authorities to broaden the scope of work where appropriate
These aims will be fulfilled by:
- Researching the history of Castle Park
- Working with partner organisations on archaeological investigations
- Working with East Herts Council, Bishop’s Stortford Town Council and Countryside Management Service to achieve the aims and objectives of the group
- Undertaking practical conservation work
- Monitoring biodiversity in Castle Park
- Providing events for the community
- Other activities and events beneficial to the local community
- Raising funds as necessary to achieve the aims
- Supporting the Castle Park project
- Raising awareness of Castle Park
Castle Park Project
The Friends of Castle Park have been working with the Castle Park project team to help develop the detailed plans. These detailed plans were submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund at the end of August 2018. Read more about the Castle Park project.
Castle Park, The Causeway, Bishop’s Stortford, CM23 2EL